The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

I have to admit that I didn’t read The Cuckoo’s Calling until AFTER I heard that J.K. Rowling had been revealed as the author. And so, as one mystery was solved, I was caught up in this OTHER mystery. It is interesting that what I first liked so much about the Harry Potter books--the detailed, convincing world-building that brought those books to life, manifests itself here in character-building. Cormoran Strike is the down-on-his-luck, drowning in debt, ex-war hero private detective who is so very far from glory he crashes in his office on a cot each night. He can barely afford Robin, the secretary whose catastrophic entrance into his dingy office belies her intelligence, initiative, and desperation to avoid a humdrum life in a well-paid HR job. So when John Bristow, a well-to-do lawyer walks into Strike’s office and offers double the normal fee, it appears that investigating the supposed suicide of Lula Landry, Bristow’s gorgeous model sister, will be a case sent from heaven. But really, it is the start of a wild ride through the London’s glitzy underbelly of fame, riches, and inner demons, and no amount of wand-waving will make you put it down.