Power to the Pooch

The Dog Master - W. Bruce Cameron The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

Just so you know, this review is not being written by the human who normally posts stuff here.

This review is being written by her dog. Who better to review a book called The Dog Master?

Now before you go and think that dogs cannot write reviews, let me point out a few things. First of all, I am a Border Collie, and even you humans have proven that we are most intelligent. Also, what the heck do you think we do all day while you are at work? Chase butterflies? Sit at the door and eagerly await your return? For HOURS? No, we go read your books, listen to NPR, and talk to each other on Skype. Ever go back to your book and feel like you’re not quite at the spot you left off? Well, now you know why.

So anyway, back to the book. The Dog Master combines 3 stories, all set in the Paleolithic era. One story follows a mother wolf who is injured by a lion, and who is helped to raise her cubs by a lone man who has been cast out from his tribe. Another storyline follows a group of people who call themselves the Kindred, but that name is deceptive as many of them act no better than a bunch of teenaged humans, and they allow themselves to be led by an evil woman who’d make Cruella De Vil roll on her back and whimper. The third storyline was my favorite, as it follows a group of humans who call themselves the Wolfen. They venerate wolves and bring them hunks of meat on a regular basis, trying to learn from the ways of the wolves. As the three stories weave together in an increasingly harrowing tale of survival, one possibility of the way that humans and canines learned to help one another survive is shown.

I rate this book 4 strips of bacon out of 5, because at first it was a little hard to separate the 3 stories, but as the book progressed, it became more clear. The Dog Master was one of the better books my human has left around the house. It was so good that I wanted to roll on it and drag it under the table that makes my den, but I restrained myself--barely. I enjoyed the descriptions of the early encounters between the humans and canines. The constant struggle for survival on the part of all the creatures was exciting as well. But most importantly, while my human was reading this book, I noticed that she followed the example of the Wolfen and I enjoyed several offerings of meat. What better recommendation could this book bring?  Those humans who enjoyed The Story of Edgar Sawtelle would also find this book compelling.