The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker I think what I loved most about this book was the voice of the narrator, an 11 year old girl named Julia, whose awkward pre-teen years coincide with an increasingly odd natural phenomena: the slowing of the rotation of Earth on its axis. Where traditional science fiction and much dystopian fiction spends most of its time building a new world, or a futuristic version of our own world, the world Julia describes is clearly our own in every detail, and as the Earth slows, the devastation occurs just as slowly, and in a fascinatingly realistic way. While some reviewers have been disappointed in this book, determining it was a young adult read due to the age of its narrator, it doesn't have to be, just as The Lovely Bones or The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet's young narrators don't necessarily push them into that category. Really, what is most disturbing about this book, and pointedly so, is not the age of the narrator. Instead it is watching the slow devolution of a world that is just a little too familiar, a little too like our own.